Results for - New "words" added to the Oxford Dictionary.
2,171 voters participated in this survey
1. Did you know the words "twerk" and "selfie" are now official English words in the Oxford Dictionary?
I had no idea these words even existed.
2. Did you know the official definition for the word selfie is : selfie, n. (informal): a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website?
Yes. I take selfies ALL the time!
How could this even be considered a word?
3. Did you know that the term "twerking" did not originate from Miley Cyrus but from the 90s?The "informal" verb is defined as "[dancing] to popular music in a sexually provocative manner involving thrusting hip movements and a low, squatting stance."
I don't even care.
4. Besides "twerking" and "selfie", the Oxford Dictionary has also added: emojis (little cartoon icons people text with) , food babies (when you eat so much, that your stomach looks pregnant) , srsly (abbreviation for seriously), and phablet (a phone so large that it's almost a tablet). Are you familiar with any of these terms?
5. Do you think the Oxford Dictionary is going a little overboard with all these new additions of words?
Yes. They are unnecessary.
No. I'm glad they're finally official words in the English language.
I don't care.
08/31/2013 News 2171 33 By: josix321