Results for - Marni Nixon, Unsung Singing Star
2,198 voters participated in this survey
Although her career was built on doing jingles, commercials, opera, and random recordings. some of Marni Nixon's finest performances were uncredited. When she dubbed the vocals for movie musical stars she was warned that if people found out she was connected to the films, the studio (in Marni's words) "would see to it that I wouldn’t work in town again".
1. Have you ever heard of soprano Marni Nixon?
Yes, and I am familiar with her great contribution to film.
Yes, I knew she was a singer, but I did not know she dubbed for movie stars.
Yes, her name is familiar.
2. Marni dubbed the singing for Deborah Kerr's Anna in "The King and I", and lounge singer Terry in "An Affair to Remember". If you have seen those films, do you recall the vocal performances? Please select all options that apply.
Yes, I remember the vocals from "The King and I".
Yes, I remember the vocals from "An Affair to Remember".
I assumed that Deborah Kerr was doing her own singing.
I don't remember the vocals from either movie.
I never saw either movie.
I thought Deborah's singing might have been dubbed.
3. When Marilyn Monroe appeared in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes", Marni dubbed the high notes for her in "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend". Do you recall this song being sung in the movie? Please choose all options that apply.
I assumed Marilyn was doing her own singing.
I thought Marilyn's voice might have been dubbed.
4. When filming "West Side Story", Natalie Wood was under the impression that her own vocals would be used for Maria. But she, too, was ultimately dubbed by Marni who gave wonderful performances of "Tonight", "Somewhere", etc. Do you recall these vocal performances? Please select all options that apply.
I assumed the singing was Natalie's.
I thought her singing might have been dubbed.
5. Marni performed the songs for Audrey Hepburn when she played Eliza Doolittle in "My Fair Lady". As in the films mentioned earlier, Marni was uncredited. Do you recall those vocal performances? Please select all options that apply.
I assumed Audrey was doing her own singing.
I thought someone might be dubbing Audrey's voice.
I did not see this movie.
6. What are your thoughts on crediting or not crediting "ghost" singers for dubbed performances? Please select all options that apply.
This deception makes me angry.
The person who does the singing should be credited.
It's fine to keep this information a secret.
As long as the singer gets paid, who cares?
It must be painful and frustrating for a ghost like Marni to see someone else get the credit for her performance.
If I were the star, I would feel uncomfortable taking the credit for what a "ghost" performer did.
As a fan, I feel disappointed learning that someone else did the singing for an actor or actress.