Results for - Hip-hop Culture
1,974 voters participated in this survey
1. Hip-hop culture involves much more than music. Which of these elements of this movement that has so influenced broader popular culture do you appreciate?
Turntable scratching (and the record collecting necessary, at least at one time, to find the records to scratch and sample)
Human beat boxing (some will dispute this as a core hip-hop element, but I beg to differ)
None of the above
2. Hip-hop slang has seeped from its native subculture into wider use, too. Which of the following words and phrases originating from or popularized in hip-hop circles do you appreciate, use, or at least don't mind when others employ them?
Diss (short for dismissing or disrespecting)
Word (as an affirmative or expression of agreement)
Bling (flashy jewelry and other ostentatuous adornments, such as jeweled dental grills)
Chill (to relax, relexed, copasrtic)
Props (short for propers, or respect due)
None at all
Other/s (I'd prefer you share in a comment below, but if you want to use the box here instead or also, have at it)
3. Hip-hop has also been a fount of inspiration for cinematic interpretation. Which of these movies that explore hip-hop tropes have you enjoyed?
Wild Style (arguably the first hip-hop movie)
Breakin' 2:Electric Bogaloo
Fear Of A Black Hat (this and CB4 parody hip-hop like This Is Spinal Tap does heavy metal)
No hip-hop movies for me, thanks
Other/s (see last question for my druthers, but do what you want with it)
4. As a corollary to the above question, some of hip-hop's most celebrated rappers have gone on to act in movie and television shows. Which of these actors have you enjoyed in their acting capacities?
LL Cool J
Mos Def (now known as Yasiin Bey, formerly of of hip-hop duo Black Star)
Tupac Shakur (a.k.a. 2Pac)
Fredo Starr (of hip-hop group Onyx)
Sticky Fingaz (also of Onyx)
Mark Wahlberg (the erstwhile Marky Mark)
Will Smith (formerly The Fresh Prince)
Don't like any rapping actors nor acting rappers
5. With the narrative, verbal and linguistic skills necessary for their artistry, do you believe rappers are especially, or better, equipped to become better actors than might other people who come from other backgrounds?
Yes, that seems reasonable.
No, acting doesn't necessarily follow from rapping.
Sometimes yes, but sometimes no.
10/21/2015 Music 1974 44 By: jlrake