Results for - Laughing So Hard As To Cry (Or A Roundabout Way Of Eulogizing Norm Macdonald)
2,307 voters participated in this survey
I don't think I've ever written two surveys in a row about recently-deceased people whose artistry I enjoy, but there's a first time for everything, yes?
1. Have you ever laughed so heartily you ended up crying?
Yes, at least once
Not that I recall/Uncertain
2. I recently found myself laughing so boisterously that I ended up in tears watching TV talk show appearances made by comedian/Saturday Night Live cast member Norm Macdonald, who died in mid-September at 61 years old due to cancer. Before starting this survey, were you familiar with any of Macdonald's work?
3. The gist of Macdonald's humor, at least in the talk (and with this question's video, news parody?) show bits I watched was his being a gleefully mischievous pot stirrer. Or, as a writer i like has recently said of someone else, Macdonald spoke the "quiet parts" of situations out loud. In his own hilarious way, it may be argued Macdonald was a truth teller. Do you appreciate it when uncomfortable truths are presented humorously?
I prefer to not being confronted with uncomfortable truths when I can avoid them.
4. Macdonald's piercing of the facades surrounding certain conventions extended to his own profession. This segment of his portion of a roast of fellow comic Bob Saget is longer than the previous two clips here, but his slow build-up with seemingly purposefully middling ribs at other comedians sounds like a blow against the silliness of celebrity roasts. Have you ever had opportunity to poke good-natured (hopefully...) fun at your work colleagues?
No, but I've been the butt of such ribbing.
5. Conversely from this survey's first question, whatever the circumsances, have you ever laughed amid an episode in your life that drove you to tears?
09/26/2021 TV 2307 29 By: jlrake