Results for - Do you remember any of your teachers from school?
2,334 voters participated in this survey
For the first 3 years, I was taught by nuns, in the Catholic school system, Detroit. After that, I had lay teachers, still in Catholic school, until my first year of high school. Back then (cue the dinosaur images) High School started in Grade 8 and ended in Grade 11- this was in Quebec; Ontario was different. For grade 8, I went to a private school, taught completely by nuns. I did my best to get kicked out- way too constraining and narrow-minded, although I did get a firm grasp of Algebra. I have never had to find X since, though, not sure what good it did.
1. Do you have a teacher, or teacher who made a difference in your life?
2. Did you have a bad teacher, one who perhaps picked on you, or ignored you, or bullied you?
3. My second-grade teacher, my first since moving to Montreal, came across me whilst I was working retail. She had me over to dinner, and I met her husband and kids. We had a great time, remembering how awful I was, and yet, she saw something in me that had her remember me kindly, some 20 years later. Have you ever re-connected with a former teacher this way?
4. Some people online use their education background to harp on others' spelling/grammar mistakes. Depending on how the "constructive criticism" is delivered, I see some bullying tactics here. If it's honestly meant as helpful, it's sorta OK, although I don't think it's my place to correct them. When it's presented as "What is (insert misspelt word here)?, it is demeaning, and shows the commenters sense of superiority. What do you think?
I enjoy it, as I am superior.
I don't mind it if it is kind, everyone needs help sometimes.
Too often, it is bullying, and I deplore this behavior.
It's hard to tell, and I don't want to be involved.
It's a problem , it'd be nice to find a solution where nobody gets hurt.
5. Would you welcome an end to this unkind behavior?
Yes, please, the world is a hard enough place as it is.
People need to find a better way to spend their time- helping others, perhaps, instead of bringing them down.
No, I love the discord, makes my day.