Results for - Do you look dumber than you really are?
1,697 voters participated in this survey
Business Insider recently listed 9 common behaviors that researchers claim people associate with low intelligence. I'll list a few to see if you agree with their findings.
1. Holding an alcoholic drink. The researchers call this "imbibing idiot bias." A study found people holding a beer in photos were perceived as less intelligent than those holding a glass of water. Do you agree that people photographed holding a beer or other alcoholic drink look less intelligent as a result?
2. Using fancy words when they're not necessary. Researchers took a dissertation abstract with lots of long words and created a simplified version by replacing the clunky words with shorter synonyms. Participants rated the author of the simplified version as more intelligent. Do you agree that a writer who uses superfluous and extravagant words appears less intelligent than one who writes concisely?
3. Walking too fast or slow. They claim research suggests people who walk slower or faster than people around them come off as less intelligent and less competent. Do you agree?
4. Avoiding eye contact. Most people agree that looking down or off to the side when talking to someone is bad. Do you agree that looking at someone while you're speaking to them makes you seem more intelligent?
5. This last questions is not from the Business Insider list. Do Tellwut respondents who complain about not having "Undecided" or "NA" options for questions come across as less intelligent than respondents who just make a choice from available answer options?
01/17/2016 Living 1697 53 By: UpstateSC