Results for - US could ban 'addictive' auto-play videos and infinite scrolling online!
2,848 voters participated in this survey
The Social Media Addiction Reduction Technology (Smart) Act takes aim at techniques and features that are created to encourage and deepen addictive behaviours. According to Hawley, a Missouri Republican, "Too much of the 'innovation' in this space is designed not to create better products, but to capture more attention by using psychological tricks that make it difficult to look away." The bill targets “practices that exploit human psychology or brain physiology to substantially impede freedom of choice”
1. Are you aware of this proposed bill?
2. Where do you spend most of your time online?
3. When you are scrolling through your social media news feed (E.g FB, Instagram etc.) do you enjoy the feature that automatically load and display content (eg. videos, GIF etc.)
4. Do you think that social media features that automatically load and display content keeps you more engaged on the social media site?
5. Would you blame such features for wasting your time and making you addicted to social media?
6. Do you think that social media features that automatically load and display content exploit individual human psychology and causes social media addiction?