Results for - The COVID-19 Contact Tracing app - a boon or a boondoggle?
In Canada and elsewhere governments are launching contact tracing apps to notify users if they’ve been exposed to someone who’s tested positive for the coronavirus. But many people have been discovering they can’t use it. That’s because the technology is only available on Apple and Android phones “released with the past 5 years". In order to be effective, a 60% or greater download rate is needed. This could be hard to achieve if large numbers of phones are incompatible. There is some "big brother" type misinformation about the app that needs to be put to rest. If a person gets tested for COVID-19 and proves positive, a code number is uploaded to the app. If you are in a store fand someone who tested positive for COVID breaks quarantine and enters the store you will receive an alert that you "may" have been in contact with "someone." You can decide what to do about it such as sanitize, charge your mask, get tested for COVID or test yourself using on of the DIY kits. The app does NOT tell you who it was who triggered the alert and uses Bluetooth rather than GPS so your location is not tracked. So as many people as possible and at least 60% of us need to download the appropriate app. but can this be done if we don't have the right phone? That's what this survey is about.
1. If a covid app is available in your area will you download and use it (provided your phone can do so)?
- No. People resist change
2. Whether or not you decide to use the app it is important to know if that goal of 60% can be met with the number and types of cell phones in use by the public. Could you use the app if you wanted to or are you excluded simply because you have the wrong type of phone?
- No idea
- The app should be written to run on the other phones.
- in the process of getting one / so yes to your question
3. If you are unable to use the app even if you wanted to and given the amount of money that has already been spent designing an app that may not work, what are you going to do to help make it work?
- Yes otherwise the apps wont work.